- World history before development of writing; prehistoric painting, drawings, carvings, and artifacts.
ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL HISTORY
- Rise and decline of civilizations; cultural and technological developments of humanity; religion; human conflict through the ages; artwork; and culture.
WORLD HISTORY (SINCE 1500)
- Modern history in the early modern through the contemporary eras.
COLONIZATION AND DECOLONIZATION
- Age of Exploration leading to colonization; stages of colonization; effects on the colonized and colonizers; and dissolution of colonization and impact on colonies.
- Prehistory and antiquity (from 500 to 1800). Africa during the 19th century and 20th century.
- Pre-Colombian development and post-Columbian impact on North, Central and South America, the Caribbean region ; era of colonization.
- Discovery and exploration of Antarctic region.
- Eras of aboriginal migration and settlement of Australia; European migration and changing habitation of the continent; colonization; independence.
- Europe from antiquity to the present day.
- Contact between Asia and other areas of the world in prehistoric and historic times. Impact of colonization upon Asia leading to current relationships.
- Historical economic systems; application of economic theory; method of economic study including statistical methods.
SOCIAL AND CULTURAL HISTORY
- Knowledge, customs, arts, folklore, language.
GLOBAL CULTURES, GLOBAL INEQUALITY
- Global cultures; effects of globalization on local and national cultures.
- Historical writing using careful interpretation and evaluation of narratives with the goal of producing accurate historical information.
MUSEUMS AND ARCHIVES
- Management of collections, historic objects, documents, artworks. Planning for collections, acquisition of items, role of collecting, exhibits, expositions, and curating.