- History of the discipline; early cultural development; national traditions; modern developments
- Variation of social practices and patterns; transmission of culture; cultural influence on health, education, patterns of work; impact of culture on environment and ecology
- Origin of agriculture and resulting cultural development and change
- Origins of ethnic groups; scientific ethnic studies and data collection; evaluation of studies; guiding ethics.
- Development of oral and written language; influence of language on society; language’s role in social class differentiation; linguistic changes that indicate social change.
- Extinct languages; translation of ancient languages; origin of language families; globalization of languages.
MEDIA AND ARTS
- Media forms and social practices; media production; television; the culture of politics.
- Anthropology of art; ethnomusicology; ethnoart; visual anthropology.
- Political economics; cultural impact of industrial development.
- Kinship, feminism, gender and sexuality; cultural determinism of gender roles and power, and influence in society.
NATURE, SCIENCE, AND TECHNOLOGY
- Cyborg anthropology; digital anthropology; ecological and environmental anthropology; impact of technological development on cultures.
- Relationship between physician and patient; modern vs. traditional medical and health systems; alternative medical systems; culturally diverse medical environments.
- Prehominid studies; species of hominids; evolutionary development of early homo species to homo sapiens sapiens; paleoanthropology; primatology; bio-archaeology; genetics; evidence of migration of human populations.
- Shared knowledge; cultural innovation; cognitive science experimental methods and cognitive theory.
- Trance and other altered consciousness states; psychology and transpersonal culture; influence on humanity of ritual, myths, diet, texts.